Monday, July 6, 2009

Snake Past

My driver introduced himself, had a tattoo on his right arm and facial piercing which got me thinking…Was he really the driver that was supposed to pick me up?
Like reading my mind, he then informed me that Charles (the international student’s dean) told him if I had any doubts, to give him a call before getting into the car. He immediately rang Charles and passed the phone to me. I felt better after speaking to Charles. A familiar voice in far away land. (I met Charles when he came over to KL for the University Introduction).
So my journey began….

My driver, lets call him Bob, since I forgot his name, pulled my food bag while I carried my hand luggage. Bob was such a gentlemen, he held the door open for me. (Maybe all British guys are like that…hmmm)
Anyway, 10 minutes into the journey, we exchanged little information about our lives, the weather, the course we were enrolled in, which football club he supports (which I later learned that is a favorite topic in England). And then Bob said “we will be heading towards the snake past soon luv”.
“LOVE”? Why did he call me love? Was he flirting? Did he fancy me? I got slightly worried…
I was wondering what he meant when he said Snake Past until we hit the windiest road I could imagine, but with a beautiful scenery with sheeps and farm houses. I enjoyed the drive for the next 10 minutes, when it suddenly hit me, if he were to murder me and burry me here, no one will ever know…Well, except for Charles. But what if Charles was in it too? (ok too many James Patterson books)
I mean, the university prospectus certainly didn’t show any sheeps or farms or even hills around the university. Im sure there were lots of buildings and it did say that its 3 minutes to the train station…

Just to be on the safe side, I took out my electric organizer (I didn’t have a mobile phone with me) and pretended to look for reception to ring my parents. (as if they could do anything being million miles away). I even pretended to speak to them in Bahasa (so he wouldn’t understand). I smiled, laughed and continued “talking” for 5 minutes on my “mobile phone” until I saw the ‘City Center’ sign…
PHEW….
I must have had the extremely-worried-cum-jetlagged look, as Bob then said, in about 5 mins, we will arrive your flat.
Flat?
I thought I was going to live in a student Village? At least that was what I registered myself to live in…Oh gosh, what have I got myself into???

No comments:

Post a Comment