Monday, July 6, 2009

Missing Luggage

Upon arriving in Manchester, while waiting for my luggage, Arun (I think that was his name, I cant remember for sure) was kind enough to wait with me. He even helped me with my first bag. And then I realised he was actually waiting for his bag too.
Anyway, he was also heading to Sheffield University. I guessed we would be on the same bus/van since I was told there were a few others that would be arriving with me.
After about 30 minutes of waiting, the luggage belt stopped. We realised there was not many bags left on the belt, and only about a dozen of us waiting. Arun also confirmed his bag was not on the belt, we both decided to go to the BA counter to enquire about our bags.
We were told (calmly may I add), that our bags could still be in London.
Riiiight....

I then (calmly) pointed out that I only have my food bag. Those days, students would equipped ourselves with Brahim's rendang, serunding (dried chicken or beef floss), Boxes of Maggie Mee noodles, tea bags (!!!) basically, things which we thought we cant get in Safeways.... (Obviously I later learned that Tea in England is much nicer) The lady then (calmly) added she hoped that I had my hand luggage with me since thats the first thing you do when you get on the plane, equipped yourself with backups, and added that they will definitely do something about our bags.
Riiiiggghttt...

Luckily I listened to dad to bring extra knickers, bra, tshirt and sweater for the plane. And luckily, those days, we received a toiletry bag from the airlines.

So Arun and I walked out to meet with our "driver" when we realised that both our names were on different cards. He was with 4 others, I was alone... There are 2 Sheffield Universities..One is Sheffield Hallam, which I was headed to, and Arun and the others were going to another uni which was 10 minutes away from mine, apparently....

There goes the first friendly Malaysian face I "trusted".

(i was only 18 them, it was my first time being away (very far away from home) alone...of course I'd end up hoping I find someone I can rely on... And it was also his first time in England. And he was alone. And like me, he too needed a friendly "trusted" Malaysian mate)

We didn't even have numbers to exchange. We exchanged email addresses. But deep down we both knew we would probably not be crossing paths, because we were in different universities...

So, I was on my own...again...(except with my "trusted" driver now)..

No comments:

Post a Comment