Tuesday, July 7, 2009

First day in college

1996. That was the year I would call "freedom". Except, I later learned, there's more to life then being away from home. And being away from home is not really "freedom".

I have great housemates. 2 were Hongkies (Hong Kong) and the other 2 were British (Lucy and I ended up being good friends, we even moved in together in the 2nd year). There was 6 rooms in our "flat" but only 5 of us, so we had one spare room, unfortunately, since its not a house house, we didn't have the key to that room, so we couldn't convert it to a tv room etc....

Anyway, Monday, my first day in university, I was informed that in actual fact, I have to travel to Loxely College, which was nearby, because my course is thought there, and not in the university. Since I was enrolled to do the Extended Engineering degree (its probably because my Alevels results was not very good, in fact, it was terrible(!) and they wanted to see if we (those who are asked to do this extended programme) can really define why y = mx + c, or why v = u + at. Or probably because they wanted to make a bit more money from the not so clever international student...kekekeke
Anyway, Charles then assigned a second year Malaysian student to take me (on the bus) to Loxley College.

So off we went...

And it took forever!

It was waaaay out of town. It was nearly out in the farms (again). And Chee (the 2nd yr Malaysian student, and not his real name) must have thought I was such a spoiled brat because I was cursing and complaining the whole way through. (It was far, and I was scared to travel on the bus on my own everyday).

When I got there, luckily Chee was nice enough to help me through. He got me enrolled (again) and the head of the Extended Engineering program showed me 3 of the classes which I could choose from. (they're all the same subjects, with same teachers, but different students). There was a girl in each classes except one. Chee told me to go for the last one, which didn't have any girls in, so that it would make the 3 classes even. But when the head told me that there are 2 people who lives on the student village in the second class we saw, I immediately choose that class, so that I can travel with them by bus everyday. (changing 2 buses to college alone was a scary thought for me...then...)

So anyway, I became real good friends with Georgia and Costas (from Greece). I thanked Chee and he told me that I can call him anytime if I needed any help. And with that said, I knew once again,everything will be okay....

PHEW....

No comments:

Post a Comment