Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Meeting the other Malaysians

I met Zam (a 2nd year student) through Costas. He was Costa's housemate. Zam told me that there was a Malaysian Singaporean Welcoming night at the Student's Union on Wednesday night. It was £5 to get in and you get free drinks all night. I was not really bothered about the free drinks, as I didnt drink alcohol anyway.
So I agreed to go with Zam.

We got there quite early, so there was no que thankfully. I was still trying to get used to the cold...I didn't really "dress up" like how I would if I was to go clubbing back home. But I would say I looked okay, at least nice enough to impress the other Malaysians.

Chee called us over to the table. I then found out that Chee and Zam were course mates. Most in the group were 2nd year students. I also met some Mara students. Melissa, a Mara scholar, who has the nicest hair Ive ever seen, smiled and tapped the seat next to her. I was glad they were all very warm and friendly... After about 20 minutes of introduction and mingling, Chee and Zam proceeded over to the bar to get the free drinks. The music was blasting, I gave my ticket to Zam, and he just said "Coke?" I nodded and off they went.

After about 20 minutes of talking at the top of our lungs(as the music was really loud), Zam and Chee came back to the table with a handful of drinks.
I took a sip of my coke, and noticed that the taste was very different. But nice.

The host (head of Malaysian Singaporean student group) made a welcoming speech. He later gave out numbers to call, embassy, head of this and that, emergency etc.
And then the music came back on and everyone proceeded to the dance floor. Zam and Chee was busy going back and forth to the bar, I could tell that most of them could really drink. Maybe because it was free... I don't know how anyone can drink so much coke in an hour!
When Chee saw that my glass was empty, he asked if I wanted another. I told them that the coke is really nice, and wondered how the other drinks would taste like. Melissa gave the "ooops" expression. And Zam slowly sat down next to me and said "ermmm you don't drink, do u?"
I said "No, why?"
He said "I'm REALLLLLY sorry, I thought u said JD and Coke"

I said "Oh? that was JD and coke? Not coke?"
They all started hitting him on the head...

Don't get me wrong here, it wasn't his intention at all to get me drinking then. He genuinely assumed I drank alcohol. Since mostly everyone that goes clubbing back home drinks.
I also know it wasn't his intention to get me drunk, because he already has a girlfriend, Sarah, who was also in England, but a different University. (I met her later that year).


So anyway, we all had a good night, I met some really nice people at that party, and again, I knew that living in England would not be bad at all....And it was only my 5th day in England...

No comments:

Post a Comment